The YMCA truly is a place FOR ALL. We believe that everyone deserves the opportunity to make a positive change in their life and that cost should never be barrier that keeps someone from that change. Whether it be learning to swim, taking the first steps in a more active lifestyle, or finding support in overcoming chronic disease, the Y never turns anyone away due to an inability to pay.
Apply This Job
At the Y, strengthening community is our cause. Our staff members are people who drive this cause – it is because of our drive, our passion, our belief in others, and our belief in the strength of our mission that we are able to make a difference – every day. This position is a great career opportunity in an organization that can help you make a difference in people's lives! If this is your calling - apply now and begin your Y journey today! – STANDARD Opening from prior FT position postings.
T his position is primarily tasked with assisting the Aquatics Department by providing high quality service delivery at the Waukee Family YMCA. This position is expected to demonstrate leadership by serving members and guests through lifeguarding, instructing swim lessons, and serving as an on-site supervisor during peak usage or program delivery times. They will assist the Program Director and Coordinator in modeling to and orientating new staff. The ideal candidate must have great flexibility in their work availability, ranging from early morning to evening and weekends. This position is full time and requires 40 hours per week. This position offers competitive pay, a positive work environment, and free Y Family Membership.
1. Supervise activities when serving as site leader.
2. Supervise members/guests participating at site and enforce rules, procedures, and policies.
3. Know emergency procedures and be able to demonstrate them.
4. Keep pool and pool deck free of obstructions and safety hazards.
5. Maintain constant surveillance of the water and pool deck areas while serving as primary lifeguard.
6. Handle equipment as assigned to ensure safety.
7. Record chemical readings while serving as primary lifeguard or site supervisor.
8. Maintain emergency equipment.
9. Teach aquatic skills when assigned as swim instructor.
10. Follow prepared lesson plans when assigned as swim instructor
11. Maintain attendance and skill accomplishment records for each participant when assigned as swim
12. Respond to all emergencies.
13. Exercise sound judgment in situations not covered by policies, procedures, and practices.
14. Report specific problems or needs to supervisor or designated staff person.
15. Perform additional duties as assigned by supervisor or designated staff person.
16. Demonstrate and support the objectives of the Association as embodied in the mission statement and
1. Ability to read, write, and perform simple mathematical functions
2. Must be at least 18 years of age
3. High School Diploma or Equivalent
4. American Red Cross CPR-PR/AED/First Aid Certifications or equivalent certifications approved by the YMCA (available upon hire)
5. American Red Cross Blood Borne Pathogens Certification or equivalent certification approved by the YMCA (available upon hire)
6. Y Leaders Orientation & Emergency Procedures Training (available upon hire)
7. American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification (available upon hire)
1. Visual, auditory, and verbal ability to communicate effectively with people and
to monitor property and activity
2. Ability to handle disgruntled individuals without personalizing comments
3. Ability to perform light physical activity
4. Ability to adapt to variety of working conditions
1. Good communication skills
2. Good organizational skills
3. Ability to maintain control of area even when distracted by noise or activity
4. Ability to work with diverse group of people
5. Ability to work with minimal supervision
6. Attend trainings and/or courses as required by the YMCA
7. Ability to adjust teaching methods to various skill levels